Here you are, hungry for breakthrough with your business or side project
You’ve got something pretty awesome to offer. I know you’re trying to build it and gain traction, but it’s not easy.
Things haven’t yet materialized into what you know they can be.
Finding focus and clarity while also trying to build traction is not easy.
For one, life is already so full. Between your family, your current responsibilities, and your interesest, there’s just a lot going on.
It’s not a fear of hard work, commitment, or even the possibility of failure that’s holding you back.
What’s holding you back is the unknown…
You’re honestly just not sure what the next step is. And that’s the frustrating part!
At times it feels so overwhelming, because if you knew what the next step was, you’d be going for it.
Because once you do get going, you’re in it for the long run.
It’s about doing your best creative work. Work that’s fulfilling and exciting to you personally. And also work that helps others and provides value to their life.
And so, here you are…
You know it’s time to start showing up every day.
You know it’s time to start acting more on your ideas.
You know it’s time to move to the next level.
…you know it’s time to do something.
- Lack of Clarity: If you were certain about what the next step was, you’d take it.
- Lack of Time: There are only so many hours in a day, and it’s not easy to find the time you need to do the work you want.
- Lack of Accountability: Because the urgent takes over, it’s hard to focus on what’s important.
- Lack of Motivation and Energy: You’re so tired from so many other things, when it does come time to work on your side project, you just don’t have the energy for it.
Here’s the thing: you’re not alone.
There are others in the same spot as you. There are others who are just a few steps ahead and can give you the advice you need. And there are those just a few steps behind who need your advice.
In the search for clarity, accountability, and motivation, you need the advice and stories of others to help you keep making forward progress.
Two Seasons of Work: Awesome and Not-Awesome
For myself, as a creative entrepreneur, there seem to be two primary seasons to my work: there are the times when things are easy and there are the times when things are *not* easy. (Obviously, right?)
- There are seasons when things are firing on all cylinders. I feel like I’m cranking out my best work ever. I’m feeling motivated. I’m excited. I’m inspired. There is a momentum to things, and the work is fun. (Why can’t it be like this all the time?)
- And then there are the seasons when things are difficult. When I’m feeling creatively dry. I’m doubting the work I’m doing. I feel like an imposter. I’m fearful that my best work is behind me.
I bet you can relate to both of those seasons.
What can you do to make sure you’re spending as much time in the former, and less time in the latter?
It takes a commitment to show up every day, and it takes community and inspiration…
Do you know what it is that contributes to the times when you’re firing on all cylinders?
How can you create a better environment for your day-to-day creative output?
When you hit a creative wall, what do you do?
When you’re feeling overwhelmed, where do you turn?
When you’re feeling like an imposter, who do you call? (Hint: not the Ghostbusters.)
Where do you go for motivation, inspiration, breakthrough, accountability, and community?
You already have strengths, balance them out by getting help in your areas of less strength.
- Maybe you can whip up an action plan for your day while the coffee is still brewing. But then have trouble seeing the big picture or understanding its significance.
- Perhaps visionary creative solutions are a natural part of your everyday life. But you find yourself having trouble when it comes time to execute on your ideas.
- Or maybe diligence and structure come naturally to you. But you’re not clear about how to best focus your time and attention to get the most out of your day.
You need to get around people who are like you, as well as those who are different.
Relationships and inspiration are absolutely critical. And, truth be told, they are not so easy to find.
Your Club membership will prove to be a significant resource.
The Club provides you with the things you (and I) so desperately need in order to do our best creative work.
As much as you hate to admit it, you (and I) need help. We need motivation. And inspiration. And a community to encourage us and keep us accountable.
- Get motivated every day
- Find that breakthrough you need
- Be inspired to do your best creative work
- Accountability to help you turn your ideas into reality
- Glean from and contribute to a community
Combined with your work ethic, all of these dynamics can turn you into an unstoppable creative and entrepreneurial force.
Your work sweet spot is found at the intersection of (1) your natural interests and preferences, (2) your skills and expertise, and (3) your opportunity stream.
This is where you will have the greatest job fulfillment and satisfaction.
It’s also where you will give the greatest contribution to the field and provide the most value.
Let’s focus on your opportunity stream.
Scott Belsky defines opportunity as an action or experience that brings you a step closer to your genuine interest.
These opportunities are usually slow advances. They are the little things that, in the moment, may seem inconsequential, but in hindsight prove to have been kairos moments.
Benjamin Franklin said that, “Human felicity is produced not as much by great pieces of good fortune that seldom happen as by little advantages that occur every day.”
By surrounding yourself with more activity and little advantages, it will inherently increase your Opportunity Stream.
You can do this by getting around other people; encourage people more frequently; provide value to others; showing up every day and sharing your work.
This is exactly the sort of application The Focus Club has in mind. It’s designed to help foster opportunities and ideas. We do this through community, conversation, and inspiration.
The Club is an investment you can utilize every day that will move you one step closer to your genuine interests.